Tuesday, April 24, 2012

frida kahlo

 frida kahlo

*there are some graphic images in this post due to the nature of Frida's work.*


i love her work. she kept it real and never forgot her roots. i did research on her during my undergrad and i came accross a journal entry in which she is talking about her time visiting the surrealists in Paris in the 1930s.

"They are so damn 'intellectual' and rotten that i can't stand them anymore... I would rather sit on the floor in the market of Toluca and sell tortillas than have anything to do with those 'artistic' bitches of Paris."

She was frustrated that they were "fighting" for revolution, but had no idea what a real revolution looked like. 

One of my favorite paintings of her's is Los Dos Fridas.


She has also dealt with something close and personal to me, misscarriage. Because of her accidents as  young woman she was never able to have children and went through three miscarriages, which she then translated onto canvas. 




During my miscarriage I just kept thinking about Frida. Since this is something people don't talk about I felt so alone and so instantly connected to her. As I shared with people what happened to me more people began to share that this happened to others they knew and gave me women to share with. 

But I am forever grateful to Frida for translating her pain to canvas and sharing that in a very real way with us. 

a note: I contemplated for a long time about weather or not to write about my miscarriage on my blog but decided to for one reason and one reason only. I want other women to know they are not alone. 



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Sara: More than ever, I've wept this semester over friends who have miscarried, delivered stillbirths, or experienced failed adoptions. We live in a broken world, and I appreciate your vulnerability and sharing of Kahlo's pieces.

    ReplyDelete