Saturday, August 11, 2012

Dry Shampoo DIY


Some people just use Baby Powder, but I'm here to tell you unless you are using organic talc free it has some nasty stuff in it. There are a myriad of different recipes and some people just use cornstarch, but I wanted mine to be a shade closer to my skin tone so my main ingredient is oatmeal flour.

Here is the recipe:
1/2 Cup Oatmeal Flour
1/4 Cup Corn Starch
1/4 Cup Baking Soda

I wanted a shaker, but don't have any of those parmesan cheese ones, and wasn't going to buy something when i'm sure I could modify something I have.... So I used a small Mason Jar.  I made a circular pattern with a nail and tapped small holes into the lid.


If you don't have Oatmeal flour (because I know I didn't) you can make it yourself. Just use your spice grinder and blend some up. This is by far the easiest way to make your own flour (oatmeal & rice). You could also use a food processor, but this is better for the size you are making.


Grind till it's a fine powder.


Stir your ingredients well in a bowl.


Transfer to your jar. If you are going to be traveling just sit a lid with no holes on top and screw both on, this way none spills in your bag. 

I took this with me on Jess and I's road trip to RI. And it worked like a charm. I'm now obsessed, because it gives my hair such great texture I can style it way more than when it is freshly washed.



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this! I've never seen a DIY for this, and I love having this stuff around without paying SO much for it. And I love that you made a mason jar shaker! Can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete